Monday, February 15, 2010

New Camera, new blog

My woman bought me a new camera for Valentine's day. A lot has changed since my last camera broke so I decided to focus my old blog and begin anew. So here it goes. I'll be hiking and mountain biking around the South Bay and there will probably be some skateboarding, too.

My first excursion with my new camera was to Rancho Cañada del Oro Open Space Reserve and Calero County park. I parked at the Rancho Cañada del Oro and headed up the Serpentine trail into Calero, hooked up with the Bald peaks trail and back down the Catamount trail. It was a steep and tortuous ascent, but of course I was rewarded with some beautiful views.....
Photobucket

That's Silicon Valley down yonder...
Photobucket

Photobucket

I thought I happened upon the fabled Love Shack sang about in traditional songs. Though I did not see any automobiles of leviathan-like proprtions the tin roof was indeed rusted...
Photobucket

I met up with a newt. A lonesome traveler on a long, weary road...
Photobucket

Photobucket

A wagon wheel makes me hanker for a hunka cheese....
Photobucket

Photobucket

creek crossing...
Photobucket

View of Calero...
Photobucket

lil seasonal pond....
Photobucket

I remember in an old issue of Big Brother skateboard mag where respected journalist Dave Carnie somewhat mocked and labeled the amateur style of photography I enjoy as "the beauty of decay." Well, I still love weathered posts and shacks and enjoy anything Carnie related.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

After I trudged uphill I realized that I didn't bring enough water. I saw some Miner's lettuce with some rain droplets. I ate a few refreshing pieces and I haven't died (or hallucinated) yet

Photobucket

There a some wildflowers sprouting up, but it's just the beginning of wild flower season....
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

More old fences...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Acorns, you can eat these, but you have to shell them and soak them in water before chowing down....
Photobucket

Boot review.
I bought these Coleman boots for $30 at Ross. They turned out to be pretty terrible They quickly fill with small sharp rocks. Not recommended..
Photobucket

Unidentified flora. In preparation for the Apocalypse I am trying to learn about and identify edible native plants. I'll post these so I can research them later and find out if they are friend or foe....
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment